As I near the end of this, my first, pregnancy I am in a somewhat strange mood.
First, I hope that at 38 weeks I can safely say “the end” because this pregnancy deal stopped jiving for me about 2 weeks ago. So with that, I would like to share some things that I’ve learned about myself and society in the last 38 weeks.
1) Pregnancy weeks are a lot like dog years. I say that “this pregnancy deal stopped jiving for me about 2 weeks ago.” But what I feel is that pregnancy stopped jiving for me about 2 years ago. By the way, this and this were both actually on my mind 2 years ago.
2) I deal a lot better with pressure than I thought. At risk of sounding full of myself, I already thought I was pretty decent at dealing with pressure. But with that, I’ve learned how important it is to have a great team behind you to help you get through the rough patches.
3) As a woman in the United States, you are never safe from bodily scrutiny. You are also not safe from the feelings that come with being a big person on our society. I’m not saying that the discrimination you experience as a pregnant person is the same as the discrimination you experience as a “fat” person, but I imagine they’re somewhat similar. And that feeling you get when you step on the scale and you’re the biggest you’ve ever been in your entire life ever single time really stinks.
4) Snark is a GREAT way to deal with what people are saying to you. I had my own experience of someone saying that it looked as though I had skipped going to the gym and my flippant (and successful) answer was “Well, I’ll just tell the baby to stop growing, shall I? Cathy Thorne has some great come-backs as well.
5) There comes a point where you aren’t actually sure if it’s “worth it” or not. You’re literally just at the end of a marathon. You have a few more miles to go and you have to tough it out because it’s truly in everyone’s best interest.
With all of that, I will let you know in a couple of weeks if my inability to breath fully, back pain, and lack of sleep are actually worth it.