Over the last week or so I have been thinking about birthdays. More specifically, my birthday. Yes indeed, folks, my birthday is tomorrow. In one more year I will be a quarter of a century old. I certainly did not expect to be on a diet at this time in my life, haha.
Over the last three years or so I have thought back on all the panning I did during my teen years. Here are just a few that come to mind that I would like to share.
1) I was going to be done with my B.A. by 21. I am now 24 (or will be in four and a half hours) and I am just about wrapping up said degree.
2) I was going to wait to marry someone until I was 22, one year after I graduated from college. Yes, I did get married at 22 (rapidly approaching 23). However, I had two years left to finish college.
3) Perhaps most poignant at the moment, I was going to be a mother by the time I turned 24. Poignant right now because I am definitely starting to feel the intense pangs of what can only be called “baby fever.”
4) I was going to have spent at least one year outside the U.S. by this point.
5) I was going to be fluent in Mandarin Chinese (as it is I can barely speak English.)
Yes indeed, birthdays are a strange thing. I’ve noticed over the last few years that birthdays draw out the negative, rather than the positive. So let’s just throw out some positives.
1) I am almost done with my B.A.! 6 1/2 years and $20,000 later, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!
2) I have a fantastic husband who loves me, despite my neurosis. Seriously, I cannot imagine a more difficult person to be with.
3) I have a cat who regularly snoozes on my desk as I write.
4) I have written a book!
5) Perhaps most importantly for all of these things, 4 years ago I left a ” man” who was abusive, controlling, and just an all around bad guy. To be honest, I feel pretty brave about that.
And so, all I have to say in conclusion is… Happy Birthday to me. Hopefully the next 24 will be just as awesome as the first!